Monday, August 1, 2011

RANDOM.....as the new moon appears

Now…
Out of sheer randomness, Antu would like to talk about


How my 1st morning of Ramadhan started

I was sitting at the counter as usual. And at normal basis, the mall guard would stand by near the counter.

Suddenly he asked *translate* "Salam, I'm sorry to disturb you, but can you translate this in English?" .I replied yes. And he pulled out his small little book (buku 555-I havent seen this book in ages) and a pen, started writing in Arabic. I was stunned.
As he continued to write in that small paper, i was mesmerised and impressed by such beauty in his writing and his memory.

Why? It is a very rare to see a person writes in Arabic nowadays. And he is a young lad. Kids nowadays barely write Jawi and this kid can write it without hesitation. (I have to apologies, this sentences is applied to the surroundings I am in especially my work place and my lifestyle)

He stops, and looked at me *translate* “Akak*, it’s this sentence”. And ask me to read it. (*Akak means big sister-mostly people would use it to show respect)




I admit that I was never good in reading Arabic or reciting the Quran. And with the little knowledge that I had, I tried my best to read it. (Honestly, to rate myself in a scale of 1 to 10, I'd be close to 1 or 2 only)

I looked at him, and confessed that I need help from him to actually explain to me the meaning of it in Malay. He recites it in Arabic, and then translates:
“Hai orang-orang yang beriman, diwajibkan atas kamu berpuasa sebagaimana diwajibkan atas orang-orang sebelum kamu. Tujuan agar kalian takut dengan Allah”

He apologised if the meaning wasn’t that accurate. And pass me the book. I jotted it down and start to translate it in English.

I gave it back to him.

After a while I remembered my sister advised. She stated that the Quran uses beautiful words and sentences that need the right and proper way to translate it. So that its beauty can be understand.

I call him back to ask him regarding the book and explain to him that I need to translate it again according to the write and best English translation.

He then pointed out that the book wasn’t for him, it was for his friend, another guard who was post at the entrance of the mall.

“Call him here”, I requested. And the boy came, a bit shy and looking down on the floor. “Give me the book and I’ll help you get the accurate meaning in Bahasa and English”

So my research in the translation had begun.

I started reading articles and search through the internet.

"Wahai orang-orang yang beriman, diwajibkan atas kamu berpuasa sebagaimana diwajibkan atas orang-orang sebelum kamu agar kamu bertakwa, (iaitu) dalam beberapa hari yang tertentu. Maka jika di antara kamu ada yang sakit atau dalam perjalanan (lalu dia berbuka), maka (wajiblah baginya berpuasa) sebanyak hari yang ditinggalkan itu pada hari-hari yang lain. Dan wajib bagi orang-orang yang berat menjalankannya (jika mereka tidak berpuasa) membayar fidyah, (yaitu) memberi makan seorang miskin. Barangsiapa yang dengan kerelaan hati mengerjakan kebajikan, maka itulah yang lebih baik baginya. Dan berpuasa lebih baik bagimu jika kamu mengetahui. (Beberapa hari yang ditentukan itu ialah) bulan Ramadhan, bulan yang di dalamnya diturunkan (permulaan) Alquran sebagai petunjuk bagi manusia dan penjelasan-penjelasan mengenai petunjuk itu dan pembeda (antara yang hak dan yang batil). Karena itu, barangsiapa di antara kamu hadir di bulan itu, dan barangsiapa sakit atau dalam perjalanan (lalu ia berbuka), maka (wajiblah baginya berpuasa), sebanyak hari yang ditinggalkannya itu, pada hari-hari yang lain." (Al-Baqarah 183-185).






As I was going through and reading further, I heard a soft Quran recitation behind me. To my surprise, the boy was standing and smiling while reciting the Quran on my screen. And behind him, were 2 more guys were standing listening and reading.

These guys were very happy and smiled at me, asking me the meaning in English. I was a bit shy and admit that I am never good and only have little knowledge of the Quran.

I volunteer to write the meaning in his small little book.

They left the counter and the guard continued his duty.

This got me thinking.

How beautiful such feelings can be. How wonderful such emotions would be. They left by giving salam to each other. They left by shaking hand and exchanging smiles.

These kids* have this beautiful spiritual attachment in their hearts and they share it with others. (pardon me, but I call them kids as I like to label myself being an old person and a big sister to others)

The guard is a Sabahan (if I’m not mistaken) and the two others were Bangladeshi, working in Village Grocer at the mall. I assume the reason why they were interested in the translation is because they can share it with each other and they can share it with the others.

As my eyes wondered around, I noticed that they are like one big family, going about giving salam and smiling to each other all around. Not to just their foreign friends, but also to locals, as they greeted one of my concierge team with a hand shake when he arrived.

I must say, it is truly an eye opener and great wake up call for me. I got to taste a small percentage on how beautiful the hood can be and witness the splendour of Ramadhan.

It was truly beautiful indeed.






What do you think? Write your views and comments about the column. I would like to hear your opinions. Anything & everyone is welcome

No comments: